Considering DS...Looking for some info pls.

tk75
on 2/11/12 12:17 am
 I Have been researching and researching about a WLS and I believe the best one for me at this time is the DS. I have read all the positive and negatives about this procedure and I would like to add that out of the websites I have been on this one by far is the best. 
  So now I have just a few questions I would like to ask.

How much time should I take off work? Keep in mind I have a desk job that does not involve physical work. 

Also knowing what you know now after you went through it, would  you do it again?

What was the hardest thing for you post-op?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this! 

MajorMom
on 2/11/12 1:17 am - VA
Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. There's a link in your DS surgeon thread about www.dsfacts.com . Sending you a personal message as well.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 2/11/12 4:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I took 2 months off for my open DS.  I was very listless the first 5-6 weeks, and happy that I was able to take a good amount of time off.  I would absolutely do it again in a heartbeat.  I love my post-DS life.  The hardest thing I'd say is getting in my protein when I hate protein drinks, but with my love of ricotta cheese, I manage decently.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AmandaID
on 2/11/12 2:42 pm - Shoshone, ID
 I had three weeks off of work; I'm an elementary teacher. However, I had my surgery done open (6+ years ago). I think if you get it laparoscopically, then you wouldn't have to have as much time off. However, you still need to give yourself time to adjust, so I'd suggest a couple weeks at least. 

Would I do it again???? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!! I was 30 years old when I had mine done; my life was getting more and more inactive the heavier I got, I was getting close to being diabetic, I had high blood pressure, and a lot of joint pain. Now I'm 36, active, have gone back for my master's degree, will finish my Ed.S. degree this May, and will start the doctoral program this fall. I have traveled, snorkeled, ziplined, parasailed, and skydived -- all things I never would've been able to do before (never let myself even think about wanting to do before!). I ENJOY life now! I'm healthy! I have a lot to look forward to! I can be whatever I want to be in life! It's amazing and wonderful, and I credit Dr. Marchesini for giving me my life back. I always say that I've lived my 20s in my 30s -- my 20s got worse each year, and my 30s just keep getting better and better!

I never had any post-op complications. I do have some calcium issues, but have dealt with them with additional supplementation. Don't go into this thinking it's a quick fix and easy; make sure you research and know exactly what you're getting into. You'll have to take vitamins and minerals for the rest of your life (for me, it was an easy trade), or you will become malnourished. Some of us have different dietary needs than others -- I am lactose intolerant and gluten sensitive, which just means it's even easier for me to focus on protein with a few veggies. I researched for 3 years before I had my surgery; I believe that really knowing the ins and outs of the surgery, the post-op life, the could-happens, the head games the body sometimes plays, a supportive network (online and in person) etc., were all vital. 

Good luck! This is definitely the best surgery out there! 

Amanda in ID
DS ~ Dec. 7, 2005, with Dr. Marchesini in Curitiba, Brazil
sw289/lw135/gw137/cw150
PS ~ June 6 & 19, 2008, with Dr. Kuster, Vila Velha, Brazil
check out my website at http://myweb.cableone.net/aeller5/DS/default.htm

beth-28
on 2/11/12 3:47 pm
I can't answer your question about work, because I am a stay-at-home-mom/wife. But, would I do it again?  ABSOLUTELY!  The hardest thing for me after surgery mentally was making myself rest and allow my family to do the housework while I was recovering.

The hardest thing for me physically was to get all my fluids and vitamins in. I hate water, but refuse to drink anything with artificial sweetners in it so I had to learn to drink water. Glaceau Smar****er is great tasting...I don't like Deerpark, Dasani or Aquafina.

And at first it is difficult to get in all your protein, water, and vitamins. But the most important thing at first is fluids. Everything else will fall into place as you heal.

Good luck!

When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

mrsannie
on 2/11/12 10:29 pm
 First let me say I would do it again in a minute!  In fact I wish I did it sooner and not wasted half my life obsessed with food and my weight.  A huge weight has been lifted (pun intended!)  I can eat and as long as I follow some simple rules, its all good!

The worst part of post-op life is the gas, especially early on.  You really need to watch everything you put in your mouth especially until you know what bothers you.  I am 2 1/2 years out and I able to eat a wider variety than I was but there are a lot of thing I can't eat.  Following the rules is tough, no bread or pasta (those were a tough for me), but eventually you adjust and its totally worth it!!!

I had an open procedure and the recovery was a lot worse than I thought it would be.  You feel crappy, then one day you start to feel better.  It took about 5 weeks until I could say I really felt like I could function.  Sleep is the most important thing.

Like I said the recovery sucked, but I would do again and this time sooner.  PM me if you have anymore questions, I'll do my best.

Good luck!  :)

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Karla N.
on 2/11/12 11:50 pm
 Yes I would
Even though I have some tough days

tk75
on 2/12/12 1:20 am
 Thank you so much for all the information! I am looking forward to more research and to start getting the ball rolling! 
Band to DS
on 2/12/12 10:59 am
I think most people take 3-5 weeks off from work to recover. Best of luck to you!

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!